Login Home Page

You don’t have to be a grownup to understand that there is blatant sexism in the fashion industry — and an 8-year-old girl named Daisy is proof of that.

The Wiltshire, England, resident was out shopping with her mom when she noticed a big difference in the apparel for boys and girls: The shirts for boys had inspirational and exciting sayings like “Think outside the box,” “hero,” and “Desert adventure awaits” on them, while the girls’ shirts had superficial slogans like “I feel fabulous,” “beautiful,” and even just “Hey.” Understandably, Daisy wants to be offered encouraging clothing, and “Hey” doesn’t quite do the trick.

“It’s unfair because everyone thinks that girls should just be pretty and boys should just be adventurous. … I think that’s wrong because why should boys’ and girls’ clothes even be separated, because we’re just as good as each other,” she tells her mom, who caught the inspiring moment on camera.

Daisy walks back and forth between the racks to demonstrate the difference. “Look, boys get ‘Think outside the box,’ which means, be adventurous, go for your dreams … and [girls get] ‘Hey’: What does that mean?! What does that inspire you to do?” Absolutely nothing.

Daisy likes adventure — which explains why she’s wearing a karate uniform — and she wants clothes to match her personality, not what people think her personality should be. “You’re my hero, and you like green, why don’t we just get you the boys’ top?” her mom asks. Daisy nods.

But that wasn’t enough for her; Daisy, hero that she is, wants to make an immediate difference, so she takes matters into her own hands and puts a bunch of the boys’ shirts in the girls’ section. “I think the girls want to be heroes, so I’m gonna put them in the girls section,” she says, giggling, with a bunch of shirts in her hand.

Unfortunately, this isn’t the first time people have found inappropriate or sexist clothing in the children’s section. Forever 21 was selling offensive T-shirts with sayings like “Hola ladies,” “Sorry ladies I only date models,” “Ladies man” and “Chicks are all over me” for boys as young as 5 years old. They pulled the items from their site in response to Yahoo Style’s criticism. British retailer Marks & Spencer was attacked for supporting sexist stereotypes after it excluded girls’ outfits from a Natural History Museum clothing range. And Gap was criticized for a “sexist” marketing campaign that referred to a young boy as a “little scholar” and a young girl as a “social butterfly.”

However, with heroes like Daisy out there, we are hopeful that gender-neutral and equally inspiring clothing for all children will soon become the norm.

Currencies

Quick Poll

Weather

New York, NY

Clear

61°F

MAX 61.0°F, MIN 46°F
Humidity:
57%
Visibility:
16.1km
Wind: